Welcome Center – Shop Associate
Part-time (16-20 hrs/week)
Reports to: Welcome Center Coordinator
Responsibilities (Retail Function)
- Perform daily opening and closing procedures. Sell store merchandise, event tickets and memberships through the museum store POS system.
- Help make target membership and sales goals as set by the Executive Director.
- Process online and telephone orders for store merchandise.
- Demonstrate familiarity with books and other store inventory to answer inquiries and encourage sales.
- Be available to work evening or additional weekend hours for special events if needed
Responsibilities (Welcome Center Function)
- Greet visitors in a friendly and professional manner
- Direct visitors to desired cultural resources in Portsmouth and area
- Gather information on current events that are happening daily and weekly in Portsmouth, especially among our partner organizations: the historic houses, the theatres, the galleries, the lighthouses, walking trails, museums, and gardens, and other tour offerings.
- Update the chalk board when on duty with all current events related to cultural Portsmouth
- Direct visitors to other services as necessary, including where to dine, walk dogs, park cars, etc. Note: We work in collaboration with the Chamber’s kiosk and the Chamber’s visitor center
- Keep the front desk, welcome center, and restrooms presentable to the public. This includes daily light housekeeping—dusting and vacuuming, straightening and organizing gift shop, checking restroom for problems, leaks, stocking paper towels, toilet paper, emptying trash, etc.
- Maintain order of front desk and welcome center, including stocking brochures, rack cards, maps, etc. Ensure up to date brochures are available and out of date material is recycled.
- Answer phone for general inquiries and transfer calls to staff when appropriate.
- Track visitors and encourage sign in of guest book
- Other administrative side jobs as assigned.
- Ensure the exterior grounds are free of trash and debris every morning and throughout the day.
- Empty trash and recycling to the street on Mondays
- Understand basic familiarity with exhibit in the Academy building and at our John Paul Jones House
- Direct and support the volunteers assigned during shift to assist with the above responsibilities as appropriate
- Work at internal and external events if assigned and available. Duties may include registration, sign in, refreshments, set up of chairs, tables, decorations, clean up, etc.
- Highest level of customer service: friendly, proactive, prompt, professional
- Familiarity with cultural resources in the Portsmouth area
- Familiarity with geography to be able to give directions to visitors and residents
- Ability to lift 25lbs.
- Advanced computer skills: Microsoft Office, data base entry, report generation, etc.
- Bachelor’s Degree in any field, or equivalent life experience
- Retail management experience with point of sale software a plus.
16 hours a week, schedule to be determined by Manager. Flexibility with advance notice. The schedule is 9:00am-5:30pm. Team member should arrive 30 minutes before we open at 9:30 am to prepare the center, put out the flags, update chalkboard, unlock the doors, check restrooms, set up theater, etc. Lunch of 30 minutes is unpaid and should be taken when a volunteer or other staff is present.
Job description is subject to change.
Send resume/apply: Robin Albert, firstname.lastname@example.org (603) 436-8433.