31st Annual Gingerbread House Contest & Exhibition
This year, the 31st Annual Gingerbread House Contest & Exhibition will go on, with COVID safety still in mind. The host, Portsmouth Historical Society will again be taking it to the streets. Along with hosting the exhibition at Portsmouth Historical Society/Discover Portsmouth, we are once again seeking downtown shops with windows to display a gingerbread creation. It can be one you make yourself, or one provided by Portsmouth Historical Society. The entries will be no larger than 15″ x 15″ and will be on view from November 26-December 22.
How it works:
- We will include a maximum of 20 retail partners.
- Scavenger hunt participants will have to collect stamps/initials from 80% of retail partners (if we have 20 partners, they will have to collect 16 of 20).
- Each creation will have a small label with a QR code linking to an information page on the PHS website.
- PHS will provide stamps and a few maps to retailers; maps will also be available at PHS and for download on our website.
- Completed forms will be returned to PHS for entry into a raffle made up of gift cards and merchandise donated by participating retail partners and the Discover Portsmouth Museum Shop.
How it benefits you:
- The scavenger hunt will encourage customers to frequent downtown businesses and to enter stores they may not have previously visited.
- We hope by fostering a sense of community, we can help everyone recover from the economic difficulties of the pandemic.
- Add some holiday cheer to your storefront display!
Retail partner requirements:
- Must be within walking distance of Market Square.
- Must have a storefront window space large enough to accommodate a 15″x15″ gingerbread creation.
- Must keep the gingerbread creation and accompanying label on display between Nov. 26 and Dec. 22.
- Must agree to stamp/initial scavenger hunt “maps” of participants. We will caution participants to be respectful of all COVID protocols and to give priority to paying customers.
Portsmouth Historical Society agrees to:
- Inform retail partner if they will be receiving a house by no later than November 22.
- Deliver a gingerbread house (unless retailer agrees to provide their own) on Wednesday, November 24.
- Provide a limited number of scavenger hunt maps for the business to distribute to their customers.
- Provide stamps to mark participants’ scavenger hunt “maps.”
- List the business name and website on our scavenger hunt map and on the PHS website and on our social media accounts.
The business understands that completing this agreement does not guarantee participation, as Portsmouth Historical Society does not yet know final number of entries.