Built in 1758, the John Paul Jones Historic House Museum is a registered national historic landmark.
Open Seasonally, Memorial Day Weekend–Columbus Day
Also open on Veterans Day with free admission for all
November 11th, 11:00 am–5:00 pm
43 Middle St.
Portsmouth, NH 03801
The house known today as the John Paul Jones house was built in 1758 for Gregory Purcell, a sea captain and merchant. When built, the house was considered to be at the edge of downtown and was amongst only a handful of stately three story homes in the city.
The house changed hands several times during the nineteenth century. Owners include, Woodbury Langdon, Henry and Alexander Ladd, who rented the home to Senator John F. Parrott, and Samuel Lord. The Portsmouth Historical Society has operated the house as a museum since 1920.
The house has been known as the John Paul Jones House for several generations. Jones (1747-92), the celebrated naval hero of the American Revolution, spent time in Portsmouth in 1777 and again in 1781-82. He is believed to have rented a room in this house during 1777, when the widow of Gregory Purcell was operating a boarding house here.