Historic Preservation Tours with Richard M. Candee, author of Building Portsmouth: Select Saturdays, 10:30am
The 2017 schedule features eight of Portsmouth’s famous neighborhoods exploring the unique architectural landscape and the stories embedded in the bricks and mortar. All tours begin at Discover Portsmouth located at 10 Middle Street. The cost is $15 for members of the Portsmouth Historical Society and $25 for non-members. Memberships are available in the Welcome Center of Discover Portsmouth before the tour and online. Each tour is limited to 20; private signature tours for groups are also available. Purchasing tickets online is encouraged or call Discover Portsmouth (603) 436-8433.
The 2017 schedule features eight of Portsmouth’s famous neighborhoods.
- May 6, Portsmouth Landmarks – Major architectural features of downtown Portsmouth
- May 27, North End: Lost Neighborhood – Urban renewal and conflicting urban vision since 1960s
- June 17, South End Preservation – 20th century preservation efforts in Portsmouth’s old South End
- July 15, Brick Act-The great fires of early 19th century Portsmouth & Portsmouth’s first building code
- August 12, Federal West End – Court street, Haymarket Square & the Federal Domestic Architecture
- Sept. 2, Victorian West End – Victorian Portsmouth & the development of ‘Rundlett’s Mountain’
- Sept. 16, NEW! Industrial Portsmouth – Islington St. / McDonough St.
- October 14, Piscataqua Waterfront Tour – Portsmouth Waterfront: Georgian Mansions, Federal Warehouses
To sign up for a Tour:
Get Info & Book Online
Your guide for the series is Richard M. Candee, Professor Emeritus of American and New England Studies at Boston University, where he directed the Preservation Studies Program for nearly 30 years. He has published nearly a hundred articles, essays, and reviews as well as four books specifically about Portsmouth. He has been Chairman of the Warner House Association, President of the Portsmouth Athenaeum and President of the Portsmouth Historical Society.
About Portsmouth Advocates
The preservation group, the Portsmouth Advocates, Inc., was formed to promote the maintenance of the historical and architectural integrity of the buildings of the city of Portsmouth within and outside of the historic districts, and to encourage the preservation and restoration of historically significant structures. We are dedicated to the preservation of our city’s unique historic character as an essential part of making Portsmouth a better place to live and work.
If you would like more information, or would like to join us in our efforts, please call 603-436-8433 or send an e-mail to email@example.com.
For more information on the City of Portsmouth’s Planning Department visit Plan Portsmouth.