Due to the continuing restrictions on public gatherings, we cannot open on May 1st, 2020. However, we hope to begin offering tours in July. Please check back here for updates. Thank you.
Learn why Portsmouth is the hub of the New Hampshire Seacoast! Our downtown is filled with hidden treasures. Our knowledgeable walking tour guides will introduce you to the city’s rich past and lively present—a unique mix of architecture, specialty shops, and bustling streets nestled in a village-like setting.
- Tours are $12 for members and $15 for non-members.
- Tour space is limited. Reservations strongly encouraged. Walk-ins welcome. Member discounts apply.
- All tours depart from Discover Portsmouth, 10 Middle Street. Tour guests invited to arrive 30 minutes prior for a free 12 minute film on the history of Portsmouth, New Hampshire.
- Walking Tour participants receive a discount on admission to the John Paul Jones House Museum and Gardens.
- Private tours are available upon request for a fee.
Please click the button below or call (603) 436-8433 to reserve a ticket and for more information
Daily, 10:30 am
Tuesdays & Thursdays, 2:30 pm
This daily 75-minute walking tour covers the streets, stories, buildings, and architecture of historic downtown Portsmouth.
By Reservation Only
Portsmouth Advocates presents a series of eight guided architectural walking tours showcasing Portsmouth’s famous neighborhoods, led by local historian, and Portsmouth treasure, Richard Candee. Historic Preservation tours provide an excellent opportunity to dive into the details and stories that make Portsmouth and its neighborhoods unique.
The Portsmouth Path of President Washington
2nd Wednesday of the month, 4:30 pm
Learn about President and Martha Washington’s visit to Portsmouth in the fall of 1789.
“Gay” Old Times: Stories of Portsmouth’s LGBTQ Community
3rd Wednesday of the month, 4:30 pm
The hidden history of LGBT clubs, organizations, and people who impacted the seacoast of NH. Tour guide, Tom Kaufhold will take you through Portsmouth for this engaging 75 minute tour. You will pass by many beautiful historic sites and learn some important facts about Portsmouth LGBT people, places and events.
Women of Portsmouth
4th Wednesday of the month, 4:30 pm
Learn about the many women who undertook non-traditional roles to become leaders in commerce, the arts, and on the seas.