Guides will be microphoned and headsets available. You may use our thoroughly sanitized earphones, your own 3.5mm earphones, or purchase a $4 pair of earbuds at the Museum Shop.
Learn why Portsmouth is the hub of the New Hampshire Seacoast! Our downtown is filled with hidden treasures. Our knowledgeable walking tour guides will introduce you to the city’s rich past and lively present—a unique mix of architecture, specialty shops, and bustling streets nestled in a village-like setting.
Portsmouth Historical Society Members
Non-members, 18 and older
Children ages 6–17
Children ages 5 and under
- Tours run May 1 through October 31.
- Your ticket includes admission to the John Paul Jones Historic House Museum (open Memorial Day weekend through Columbus Day) and the Portsmouth Historical Society galleries.
- Walk-ins are welcome, but tour space is limited. Reservations strongly encouraged.
- All tours depart from the Portsmouth Historical Society/Discover Portsmouth Welcome Center, 10 Middle Street. Please gather inside at the Welcome Center desk.
- Private walking tours outside the daily schedule are available for $25 per person. Contact us at least 48 hours prior to your desired tour time: Walking Tour Manager (603) 570-2494 or email@example.com. Please inquire about specific tours: The Daily Tour, The Path of President Washington Tour or From Loyalist to Liberty Tour.
Please click the button below or call (603) 436-8433 to reserve a ticket and for more information
Historic Downtown Portsmouth
Daily at 10:30 am
2nd and 4th Fridays at 2:30 pm Saturdays at 2:30 pm
This daily 75- to 90-minute walking tour covers the streets, stories, buildings, and architecture of historic downtown Portsmouth.
The Portsmouth Path of President Washington
1st and 3rd Fridays at 2:30 pm
Many people don’t know that George Washington spent time on the Seacoast in 1789! Learn about President Washington’s visit to Portsmouth in the fall of 1789. One of the stops is the Tobias Lear House, home of President Washington’s personal secretary.
“Gay” Old Times: Stories of Portsmouth’s LGBTQ+ Community
2nd Wednesday of the month at 2:30 pm and 2nd Sunday at 2:30 pm
The hidden history of LGBT clubs, organizations, and people who impacted the seacoast of NH. Tour guide, Tom Kaufhold will take you through Portsmouth for this engaging 75 to 90 minute tour. You will pass by many beautiful historic sites and learn some important facts about Portsmouth LGBT people, places and events.
Women of Portsmouth
Once a month
3rd Monday at 3:30 pm
Learn the untold stories of navigators, preachers, artists, authors, tavern keepers, and madams who defied stereotypes and shaped Portsmouth. Tour guide Lauren Gianino will take you through Portsmouth for this engaging 75- to 90-minute tour.
By Reservation Only
Portsmouth Advocates presents a series of guided architectural walking tours showcasing Portsmouth’s famous neighborhoods, led by local historian and Portsmouth treasure, Richard Candee. Historic preservation tours provide an excellent opportunity to dive into the details and stories that make Portsmouth and its neighborhoods unique.
Please contact our Walking Tour Manager at 603-570-2494 or firstname.lastname@example.org