Director of Development
The Portsmouth Historical Society (PHS), encompassing the Portsmouth Academy Galleries, the Discover Portsmouth Welcome Center and Shop, and the John Paul Jones House Museum, seeks a Director of Development to oversee the various aspects of fundraising for the institution.
Candidate should have experience in all aspects of nonprofit fundraising, including major gift cultivation, membership programs, fundraising events, planned giving, corporate donation solicitations, and the research, preparation of proposals, tracking, and reporting for grants.
This position reports to the Executive Director, and includes working with a board-level Development Committee.
The following experience and skills are desired:
- Maintaining a successful membership program, from which larger donors are cultivated;
- A track record of cultivating major donors and gifts;
- An ability to develop and maintain a base of corporate donors, for gifts and grants to cover expenses of programs and operations;
- Experience in targeted fundraising initiatives;
- Knowledge of charitable tax laws;
- Experience in maintaining a planned giving program and soliciting estate gifts;
- Ability to research government and philanthropic grant prospects, skill in researching and drafting successful grant proposals and satisfactory reports, and punctuality in submissions of proposals and reports;
- Knowledge of donor databases (LGL a plus), and a commitment to maintaining organized records of donors and prospects;
- Skills in writing, development of inter-personal relationships, and team leadership.
- Patience, flexibility, and a sense of humor are a must!
About the Portsmouth Historical Society:
Founded in 1917, the Portsmouth Historical Society is devoted to explaining the significance of the past, the art, and the cultures of Portsmouth and the greater Seacoast area, as well as the larger world in which Portsmouth has played a significant role. PHS maintains facilities in the heart of the city that include the Portsmouth Academy Galleries, the Discover Portsmouth welcome center and museum shop, and the historic John Paul Jones House Museum. Facilities are open to the public from April through December. Its annual operating budget is about $750,000, with a staff of about a dozen people.
Please email a cover letter and resume to the Director of Finance & Administrator at Sharon@portsmouthhistory.org.